Saturday, March 12, 2005

Liz's mom

Liz’s mom was pretty cool. A little bit flaky, but pretty cool. She was considerably younger than Liz’s dad, who had white hair even when we were eleven and twelve years old.

Liz’s mom was a social worker and very concerned about the world around her. She would prepare reports to present at the dinner table, complete with note cards so she wouldn’t forget the salient points. Liz’s dad kind of disregarded Liz’s mom. He was a prominent radiologist.

Liz was the youngest in the household, her brother and sister were well into their twenties when Liz and I were pre-teens. Liz’s mom called Liz her “Gift from God” because she entered menopause right after that last pregnancy. Liz’s mom wanted to make sure that Liz met diverse people. Liz’s godmother was black, I forget her name, but she was very nice. Liz’s mom also had a friend, Judy, who was blind. I always liked the way Liz’s mom cared so much about the larger issues of the world and society. My family, it seemed, was always focused on scraping by and meeting basic needs. There was no time for my parents to include diversity in their children’s milieus or social justice at the dinner table, complete with notecards.

Eventually, we learned that Liz’s mom married Liz’s dad basically to get away from her parents. Something to the effect that she wouldn’t have to move with them to another state or something if she married him. I am not sure of the details. But I do know that Liz’s mom did not love Liz’s dad. She told us in high school that she planned on divorcing him when Liz was done with school.

Liz’s mom finally divorced Liz’s dad when Liz and I were in college. She came to my college graduation party and looked fabulous. She wore a hand-painted t-shirt and pants set, and she was radiant and full of plans. Clearly, divorce had suited her well.

This energy level did not last long. Soon Liz’s mom got sick and had to cart around an oxygen tank with her. And her eyesight became poorer and poorer, and she could not drive at night. She got scared living alone. Liz and her fiancé moved in.

Eventually, Liz’s older sister had Liz’s mom moved to a nursing home in Florida. Liz’s sister could take better care of her that way. Liz’s mom seemed to be adjusting and making friends, but it did not last long. I don’t remember the circumstances surrounding her death, but I do remember that it was not long after she moved to Florida.

I didn’t go to the funeral; and I am terrible about sending cards. I did call Liz and talk to her a little about her mom. I felt very sad for this woman who waited her whole life to live her life, and only seemed to have a few moments when she was able to live it to the fullest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home