Friday, March 25, 2005

Daffodil Days

Recenctly it was Daffodil Days at both of my jobs. Daffodil Days is a fundraiser, I think for the American Cancer Society. You order a single daffodil, or many, and you can order something like eight or a dozen along with a vase, that although it is chintzy plastic, is the right size and shape for holding a bunch of daffodils. Unfortunately, due to the fact that I have two jobs, it is not practical for me to order the daffodils. I ordered them once at my morning job, got them on a Friday when they were buds, left for the weekend, and by Monday morning when I came back they were wilted. I can’t carry them back and forth to each job to enjoy them.

But nonetheless, I am very fond of Daffodil Days. When I was a kid, the daffodils were like a dime each, and we could get them at school. My mom gave me a dollar bill to get ten daffodils. But back then, most of the students only bought one or two daffodils. They also hadn’t yet hit on the marketing genius of offering vases for sale – each daffodil came with its cut end wrapped in a piece of damp paper towel.

When the time came to pick up the flowers, one by one we left the classroom to go to the nurse’s office to get them. I don’t know why they kept them at the nurse’s office, but that’s where we had to go, one at a time. I got down there, and the nurse picked out ten daffodil buds. She wrapped the whole bundle in several wet paper towels and I was on my way. I was so happy, and even as a little kid, I felt happy that we had given money to the Cancer Society.

I got a lot of attention in the classroom and on the bus home because nobody else had as many daffodils as me. On the way home, they were starting to bloom. They looked so pretty and yellow and perfect. It was a happy day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home